Janay Reliford created the concept of Camp CHOICE
Janay Reliford is a Kansas City native and graduated from Westport High School as a Ewing Marion Kauffman “Project Choice” scholarship recipient. Janay attained a Bachelor’s degree in Social Work from Central Missouri State University and also holds a Master’s Degree in Social Work Administration from the University of Kansas.
The vision for Camp CHOICE (Children Having Opportunities in Creating Environment) came back in 2000, through a business plan competition sponsored by the Kauffman Foundation and Penn Valley Community College. Ever since, she has dreamed of building a youth development & family fun park and in 2006 she registered Camp CHOICE as an S Corporation to get the ball rolling. Janay was inspired by her own life experience losing her mother in a car accident at age 15 and spiraling down a path of bad choices. Janay became a teenage mother, with little wisdom or skills to direct her life. She developed a deep relationship with God and discovered the power in her choices, and desires to help as many people as possible discover theirs.
Through her experiences, Janay has gained a deep awareness of the scope of poverty and violence across the nation, and abroad. This made her ambitious about creating innovative approaches to service delivery. She founded Camp CHOICE, Inc. to provide a resource for youth to learn skills to help them avoid life's pitfalls.
We are in the process of redeveloping our Advisory Board. We are seeking individuals with a heart for youth & families, expertise in marketing, business development & finance, capital campaigns, and/or knowledge in real estate development. Contact us, if you'd like to help us grow!
CAMP CHOICE FAMILY FUN PARK
CAMP CHOICE FAMILY FUN PARK WILL BE A LEADER IN YOUTH DEVELOPMENT AND THE HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY.
- “GAME OF LIFE”- June thru September: teens receive a random mock social status, which determines the social class they start the game from. Then they experience the true to life’s ups & downs obstacle course designed to challenge their sensibilities. They also explore the Camp CHOICE “Life Lessons” curriculum including Life Inquiry, Race, Culture & Family, Education, Careers & Financial Stability and External & Internal Evolvement.
- LODGING, FACILITY RENTALS & Products- October thru May youth between the ages of 14-24, will undergo extensive training in service etiquette and gardening to attract and retain customers for all cost based services. The Garden of Eden will sell fresh flowers & produce. The Platinum, Gold and Copper lodging spaces are themed to represent lower, middle & upper class living. The Fellowship Hall can be rented for weddings, family reunions & other group gatherings.
CAMP CHOICE FAMILY FUN PARK WILL BE A GATHERING PLACE FOR PEOPLE OF FAITH,THOSE SEEKING LIFE’S TRUTHS, AND THOSE WHO JUST WANT TO BE ENTERTAINED.
- GOD’s House – one of Camp CHOICE’s most magnificent designs, this facility will tower into the sky with prayer/meditation & gathering rooms, and a library of theological & inspirational literature.
- FREEDOM CENTER – patrons come here daily to swim, play sports & arcade games, exercise, enjoy arts & crafts, or sit back and watch a good movie, concert or play in the indoor/outdoor amphitheater.
- INDEPENDENCE LAND – features the Hall of Choices, which is a virtual corridor that projects images of historical and present day events resulting from the choices of mankind, and includes a museum presenting artifacts related to anatomy, biology, geology, physics, cosmology, etc. There will be warm & cold weather obstacle courses that challenge the mind, body & spirit.
Our goals are to identify land, fun park financing sources, as well as build contractual relationships to provide youth life coaching services. We need to raise $15-20 million to build our youth development and family fun park. We are seeking at least $5.6 mil in startup funds, which will carry the project through its four yr. development timeline.
Once the park is built, the summer adventure will serve 400 youth annually, and provide weeklong “Game of Life” Adventures between the months of June and August. Before and after the summer experience, Camp CHOICE will operate daily providing the community unique lodging amenities, event space, youth development/parenting seminars, and other recreational activities.
Everyone can contribute to the
$20 Million goal!
Give any amount!
(Contributions are not tax deductible)